Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Twins?

One of our neighbors is newly pregnant and her husband told Chris that she has a feeling it might be twins. If I ever see her I will tell her to run immediately to the nearest ultrasound technician and get that "feeling" checked out.
That comment brought me back to the moment we found out we were having twins. I was only 10 weeks pregnant and Chris and I were at our first real appointment with the nurse-midwife. I had been suffering from horrible morning sickness since week 5, and everything I read about morning sickness discussed that being pregnant with multiples could cause symptoms to worsen. I always skipped over that part, because I knew there was no way I was carrying more than one baby.
So Chris and I were with the midwife and she decided to do an ultrasound because she could not confirm I was even pregnant. She pulls out the portable ultrasound machine and starts looking for the baby. Nothing other than a black void appeared on the screen. She then tells me we would be moving down the hall for a mega-powerful-baby-finding ultrasound. At this point I was a little concerned because if they determined I was not pregnant than I was surely dying a horrible nausea filled death.
We moved to the room down the hall and I'm lying there as the midwife is inspecting the screen which was turned away from me. She finally says, "Alright. Here is Baby A." My first reaction? Thank you, Lord, there is a baby! My second reaction? Why do they refer to a baby as Baby A? Not having ever been pregnant before, I assumed this was just the technical way of referring to one baby, but just for the sake of asking I stuttered, "Baby A?"
The midwife replies, "And here is Baby B. You're carrying twins." She was so calm, but I on the other hand was nearly hyperventilating on the table. I remember saying to her, "You're lying! You're lying!" Then I looked over at Chris and he was squeezing my hand, laughing and shaking his head. All he said was,"I better get back to work."
Looking back, I am so glad that I didn't have a "feeling" that I was carrying twins. I am so glad I didn't pay attention to my dreams that only included one baby- a girl. There has never been or will ever be any surprise that can top the moment we discovered we were carrying Baby A and Baby B. We went into that first appointment with nervous excitement about our baby and left having heard the greatest surprise of our lives.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I have been meaning to comment on EVERY post. I ADORE this blog. You are doing such a great job with it. I remember finding out about Baby A and B and I believe it was the biggest shock of MY life. They are perfect....
Love and miss you all.