Monday, June 18, 2007

A Mother's Love

I have been reflecting on motherhood so much lately. Perhaps it is because our babies are turning into toddlers right before our eyes. Matt and Will are changing so much and it seems as though it is happening all at once. Will is taking dozens of steps at a time, although only when he is in the mood and definitely not when there is a camera involved. Matt seems to cut a new tooth every other day- we're up to 5- and he prefers to use them on both his brother and me. We turned their car seats around to forward-facing yesterday which means they are both finally 20 pounds. They are eating 3 solid meals a day and using sippy cups at each of those meals. Today they had three meals, a snack and 4 bottles. I promise all I did today was feed boys and clean up from feeding boys. What a life!

I can remember lots of conversations with my Nana about my mom. My mom is the epitome of a mother. She is innately nurturing, loves unconditionally, would sacrifice all for her children, is kind-hearted, can bake a mean chocolate cake- the list could go on and on. I never understood why my mom would give and give and give to me even when she had nothing left to give. My Nana would always tell me that I would understand this type of love when I became a mother. I always kind of brushed that remark off because of course I understood love. Well as usual, my Nana was right.

I was totally unprepared for how I would one day so completely love Matt and Will. Of course I loved them from the minute they began to resemble human beings on the ultrasound, but my love for them did not reach the "heart being ripped from your chest" type love until we brought them home from the hospital. I read a quote once about a mother's love and it was described as watching your heart walk around outside of your body (or something like that). It is so true. And what surprises me most is that I- a cynical, sarcastic, tough love type woman- am completely capable of overflowing with love for my children.

No comments: