Saturday, June 16, 2007

Happy Father's Day


It feels like this is the first Father's Day with Matt and Will, but it's not. It's just that I can't even recall what happened at this time last year. All I know is that Chris and I were in a fog of sleep-deprivation and were just working on auto-pilot to get through each day. That's pretty much how the first year went for me.


It seems like an eternity since that time. Our lives are slowly returning to some sort of order and routine. The day is filled with bottles, meals, clean-up, play, tantrums, laughter and bed-time rituals. Our lives have changed so much from the selfish ways of our first 7 years of marriage. Matt and Will now dictate everything we do. There is no more sleeping in, no more spur of the moment dinners out, no more uninterrupted TV viewing, no more late nights at the office. Our evenings used to be so easy, so relaxed. Now when Chris walks in the door it's like a mad dash to get them in bed at the right time. Get the sippy cups! Put on bibs! Cut up sweet potatoes! Run the bath water! Fix the bottles! Read the book! Say nighty night!


When the boys are finally in bed we then have to return the house to some sort of order- pick up toys, wash down high chairs, wash bottles and sippy cups, clean up the bathroom and do laundry.


What I love about Chris is that he does all of this, day in and day out, without complaint. He's not the kind of dad who walks in from a long day at the office and retreats to his recliner. He comes home ready to play, feed, and bathe. Sure he may not wash bottles, but he definitely knows how to mop a floor!


All I know is that I cannot imagine parenting Matt and Will without Chris. He's more wonderful a father than I could have imagined, and Matt and Will are blessed to be able to call him Dada. Happy Father's Day Chris!


3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I LOVE this post. You all are such a great team. We miss you both so much!

Anonymous said...

I like the last picture where WillorMatt is looking up at Chris like he's thinking "Why is this dude sitting on my couch?!?!" Too cute.

Sarah said...

The picture of the two of them sleeping together is so cute. How did you take it without them waking up? I'm so impressed.