Thursday, March 26, 2009

Proud Parents... We Think?

Chris and I had to substitute "teach" in the boys' class last Sunday at church. They ended up combining 2 classes, so we had 10 toddlers ranging from 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 years old. It didn't take long for me to realize that teaching toddlers with a Christ-like manner is not my forte.

Because the boys have never been in any organized program like daycare or Mother's Day Out, I never really knew if they were well-behaved kids. Like every parent, I struggle with discipline and we have some good days and some really bad days. I never thought Matt and Will were "bad" kids, but I did not realize how well-behaved they were until I witnessed them in a group setting.

While the other boys were chasing each other, hitting, shoving, and tackling one another to the ground, Matt and Will were quietly entertaining themselves. When we read the Bible story, did our craft project, sang songs and prayed, Matt and Will sat, listened and participated. They did not cut in line, they did not interrupt, they did not wander off. For a moment I was incredibly proud of them, and then I came to a few realizations:
1. Matt and Will are shy. What looks like "well-behaved" to others could really just be timidness in an unfamiliar situation.
2. The worst offenders in the class were the older boys. Perhaps I just got a horrible glimpse of our future.
3. It may be a really good thing if we don't get Matt and Will into a preschool. I certainly don't need them picking up any more bad habits than the ones they already have.

Chris and I would normally leave the boys in their class for a second hour so we could attend church, but we were both ready to bolt. It's just too bad that at 9:30 on a Sunday morning you can't find a good margarita. We really could have used one.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Please bring them to our class sometime when they turn 3 1/2. It would be so much fun. I agree with you on the older boys. Get a few of them together in class and chaos insues. Virgin margs just don't do the trick either.