Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Nap Time

Our house is currently in a state of disarray. We are in the midst of installing a new 5-ton heat pump after our "old" 3-ton unit stopped working during some of the hottest days of the summer. 1 unairconditioned house in 100 degree heat + 2 toddlers + 1 cranky mom = 1 husband that must purchase a new a/c or else.

Technically Matt and Will are to blame for this major purchase. After all, we never would have needed a bigger a/c if we hadn't needed to add on a bonus room for my office and workout space. They are the ones who conspired in utero to split into 2 beings and wreak havoc on our perfectly situated house. So while I spent the better part of my pregnancy in a constant state of nausea and bedrest, Chris ripped out my pantry, installed a stairway and finished out an additional room. The poor a/c unit just couldn't handle cooling that extra space. Thank you Matt and Will.

Because of all the work going on in the house, I've had to deny Matt and Will access to the kitchen and keep them contained in the living room, dining room and playroom. I must admit it is nice to be able to work in the kitchen without a toddler or two underfoot, but Matt and Will are not hip on this new arrangement. They spent most of yesterday crying at the gates wondering what they did to mommy to deserve such punishment.

When I put them down for a nap today they babbled for well over an hour before they finally fell asleep. It started with giggles and laughter, progressed to "uh oh" and "ahhh" at the top of their lungs and then wound down with "mama? mama? mama?"

Now that they have finally fallen asleep, I just know that the a/c man will show up to get started on the work today and wake up my peacefully sleeping boys. At least I'll get to deal with 2 fussy toddlers in a comfortably cooled house.

1 comment:

yancyandchristina said...

Oh man, knowing how your distaste for the heat and sweating and all affects you, I'm gonna have to say that I side with Matt and Will on this one in terms of who to feel sorry for.