Tuesday, July 24, 2007

We must be insane

I'm sure the 3 people that read this blog are waiting on pins and needles to find out how Matt's diaper rash is. After 8 days, nearly 50 baths, 2 different prescription creams, and a pleading call to the pediatric clinic, he is finally on the mend. He should be nearly healed by the time we leave for our road trip this week. I believe I vowed not to travel any more this summer after the trip to the beach, but under duress Chris got me to agree to take a road trip with him, the boys and his mom. I must be a saint.

We're splitting the 12 hour drive between two days, since Chris is in bed every night by 9pm and I pretty much can't see after dark. As you can tell, we are not experienced road trippers. In fact, under the pretense of "saving our marriage" Chris purchased a GPS navigation system to use on the trip so he didn't have to consult his passenger for any help with directions.

When we arrive at our destination on Friday afternoon, we'll have a whole day and half with his family before we pack up the van and start the drive back on Sunday. I can tell Matt and Will are really excited about sitting in their car seats for 6 hours a day. It's all we talk about.

The 8-day diaper rash marathon has taught me a lot about the boys. As hard as it was to suffer from such an uncomfortable rash, Matt weathered the week without much problem. Poor Will was another story; he's just not used to feeling so neglected. By yesterday afternoon Will was so miserable. He was moping around the house whining and then would suddenly throw himself down on the floor feigning injury. When I didn't fall for his act, he picked himself up off the floor, took a few steps and threw himself down again. It was so sad to watch his desperate plea for attention. I just knew he was thinking "why couldn't I have gotten the diaper rash? why does it always have to be Matt!" Oh to be a twin!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Robin, you crack me up! Gosh you guys are so brave. You should have your GPS talk in a funny accent or better yet in another language! It could be a learning tool for the kids. I'm so glad Matt is doing better. That just cannot be comfortable. Bless Will's heart too. He can hang out with me anytime he starts getting diaper rash envy.

Anonymous said...

Granted I've been married less than 8 weeks, but I'm not so sure that the phrase 'saving our marriage' and a 12 hour road trip with twins should be used in the same paragraph.