Thursday, May 3, 2007

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

I cannot tell you the number of discussions that my on-line twin mom buddies and I have had about Miss Marcia Cross. I'm sure she's a very nice person, but she's really starting to irritate me. So, Marcia if you are one of the 3 people who actually read my blog, I'm just going to apologize now.

Are you out of your mind? Are your hormones unbalanced? Are you feeling as though you must live up to Bree Van De Camp standards? Do you wish to make enemies of every twin mom in the country?

I'm still trying to get over the whole People magazine article. You know, the one where you made this remark... "Earlier in the day, Tom was dancing with Eden... we put on some Tchaikovsky and they were dancing to Swan Lake. That was just so (insert deep contented sigh) beautiful."

And this comment regarding bed rest... "I thought I might as well learn something so I got some books on tape- ancient Greek civilization, something on the symphony, Middlemarch."

Oh and remember this one... "I think we both feel happy that we're so prepared and have lived enough and been through enough that parenthood seems relatively easy."

Gosh my experiences have been so similar. Seriously, we could be BFF!

I can't tell you the number of times I have hoarsely sung "5 Little Monkeys" to a screaming baby in the middle of the night while we paced the floors, uh I mean "danced" together.

I didn't have time to listen to ancient Greek civilization books on tape while I was on hospital bedrest. I was too busy making my 30 minute round trip to the bathroom every hour. It's quite a chore to roll yourself out of bed and unhook 12 monitors, leads, pumps and plugs and then drag your IV pole across the room and back and hook yourself back up. The other 30 minutes of every hour was spent listening to the "thud, thud, thud, thud" of two babies' heartbeats and watching my contractions peak on the monitor. Oh, butI did watch the Price is Right every day- you can learn a lot from that show.

I'm kind of at a loss for the "parenthood seems relatively easy" comment. Are you sure you are a mom? To twins? Who are only a few months old?

Today you were on The View. I only caught about a minute of your interview. Unfortunately it was the minute in which you bragged about losing 40 pounds in 2 weeks. I'll admit I was feeling pretty impressed with myself after having Matt and Will, but soon the reality of caring for two babies set in and the pounds came piling on. My problem was that my publicist, nanny, personal chef and trainer were all on vacation and couldn't stop me from putting the chocolate into my mouth every minute I was awake. Did I tell you that I was awake at least 20 hours everyday for 11 months? That's a lot of chocolate!

Marcia, one day your nanny will call in sick, your husband will be out of town, and you will realize that you are alone and responsible for two beings who prefer to communicate their needs with loud, irritating voices. My advice to you? Don't bother dancing to Tchaikovsky, don't call upon your knowledge of ancient Greek civilization, just grab those darlings, pace the floor and sing "5 Little Monkeys" 100 times. I promise it works every time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Granted, I only had one at a time, but when mothers younger than me with their first child always had it together and acted as though things were always perfect, I wanted to scream and say that they were living in an alternate universe. Do people really have it that easy with children of any number? I certainly wouldn't know. I'm happy to make it out of my pajamas and into regular "frumpy" clothes at least 3 times a week with no makeup whatsoever!

Cherith said...

so, i have no idea who marcia is, but i'm just so glad that you started a post so i can see your boys :) and so i can hear how you survive each day.