Thursday, June 26, 2008

Two heads are better than one

My dear neighbor down the street has one child, a 3 year-old boy. She's never really had to childproof anything. Her home is filled with things that would not survive a day with Matt and Will- lots of ceramic figurines, glass, items on the coffee table, cabinets that aren't locked, a flat screen TV within arms reach of anyone over 18 inches tall. Sometimes when I'm over there with Matt and Will, I look around in astonishment at her orderly living space.
She has a water dispenser that her son doesn't touch! We had to move ours to the laundry room as soon as Matt and Will discovered they could flood our home with 3 gallons of spring water just by depressing a lever. And if one's finger got tired, the other could take over. How fabulous is that? That darn water cooler has been in the laundry room for well over a year now, but do you think they can resist messing with it EVERY time they walk by it on their way to the garage?
A few weeks ago they discovered the one door that was not childproofed in our bathroom- the door to the linen closet. While I frantically tried to put on make up and dry my hair each morning, Matt and Will would pull everything within reach out of the closet and dump it into the bathtub. As if that weren't enough of a mess, they would then turn on the water and shriek with delight. One morning they found a half-empty glass of water on Chris's nightstand. They emptied a nearby tote (thank goodness) and poured in the water. Then those smart boys refilled the cup two times at the bathtub- dumping one cup into a woven trash can (please note these don't hold water) and their final cup directly onto the floor. It took two trips to the bathtub for me to realize what was happening.
With the way our living room is arranged, I knew we'd have issues with the sink area. They've only recently begun crawling onto the couch, but it didn't take long for them to figure out they could find lots of interesting stuff in or near the kitchen sink. I have a feeling this is only the beginning.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how Will? also has the remote in one of your pictures! BOYS!

LauraC said...

Last night I heard Nate and Alex saying, "I dumping! I dumping!" I walked over to find them pouring milk from their sippy cups into a toy dump truck then dumping it onto the floor. Together.

I feel like this phase is crazier because they can finally get into everything. I feel like my last line of defense is GONE.